Distance Learning: Is It the Right Choice for You?
For people that want to pursue an interest or update their CV, distance learning is a popular education choice. With so many courses from different institutions available at any given time, distance learning courses can help you learn everything you need and more. Yet, it is important that you know the pros and cons to discover if distance learning is truly the right choice for you.
What Is Distance Learning?
Distance learning refers to receiving an education that does not take place in a conventional classroom with personal interactions between teachers and students. Instead, distance learning consists of emails, forums, webinars, web chats, online reading, online tests, and more.
Distance learning is often used to help people upgrade their skills or complete entire degrees for new careers. However, it is always important to make sure that the courses are accredited so that they will be accepted by potential employers.
What Are the Pros and Cons?
When deciding if online learning is the right choice for you, here are the advantages and disadvantages:
- You can receive an education from the comfort of your own home. With distance learning, you can review and finish the course material from anywhere that enables Internet access. This is especially handy for people that cannot leave their homes or do not have universities or colleges nearby.
- You can pursue an interest. If you are interested in a particular topic, you may be able to take online courses to further your knowledge. There are many people that take online courses, especially those that are offered for free, as a hobby to help keep their minds sharp.
- Online learning costs down on education expenses. Receiving an education online is considerably cheaper than the traditional method. The best part of receiving an online education is that you will still be able to earn money while studying since the scheduling is very flexible.
- You can master the art of self-motivation. Because you will need to rely completely on yourself to get the work done, distance learning is excellent for learning how to be more responsible. Learning the techniques to motivate yourself to achieve your education goals will be beneficial in other areas of life as well.
- Lack of one-on-one attention. Even though there may be a teacher/instructor present, depending on the number of students partaking, you may not receive one-on-one attention. Without personal attention, it can be difficult to find solutions if you are stuck on a particular section or have questions.
- Lack of a physical learning environment. Some people learn better in a physical learning environment, such as a classroom. Without a physical learning environment and its various resources, some people may find it harder to complete the work.
- Lack of motivation. Unfortunately, it can be hard to stay motivated when taking online courses. Without a clear sense of direction and drive, many students may miss important deadlines or fail to complete the course.
Distance learning can provide the perfect opportunity to get ahead in life. By taking reputable courses and keeping yourself motivated, online learning can very well be the right choice for you.
Paige Burton is a busy mum of 3 young children who enjoys learning new things. She shares her knowledge by blogging about various courses and education as a whole. See here for distance learning courses you could take.