Control Panel
Other Help
stafford loan rates
PLUS loan rates
loan amount chart
dependency status
aid eligibility




Financial Aid Eligibility

To receive financial aid assistance, you must:

  • display a need for financial aid (except for unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS loans).

  • complete high school and have been awarded a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) Certificate.

  • pass a college entrance exam approved by the U.S. Department of Education, and/or meet other standards your state may establish.
  • be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working at least half-time toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program.

  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.

  • have a valid Social Security number.

  • make satisfactory academic progress.
  • sign a statement on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) certifying that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes.

  • sign a statement on the FAFSA certifying that you are not in default on a federal student loan and that you do not owe money back on a federal student grant.

  • register with the Selective Service (for young men age 18 and over):

    you can register online: