aid step 3: Processing the SAR

getting your sar report
Two forms will follow the submission of your FAFSA form. First is the Student Aid Report (SAR). Second is the Financial Aid Award. Step 3 reviews the SAR and next steps.


Aid Information:

  1. what is the student aid report (SAR)
  2. making corrections to the SAR
  3. adding more schools
  4. FREE summary aid booklet

Click a topic heading to toggle the display of its contents | hide all | show all

What is the Student Aid Report (SAR)

The Student Aid Report (SAR) is a summary report of your FAFSA form submission

After submission and completion of the FAFSA form, the federal government will process your application and produce a Student Aid Report (SAR).

The SAR will report the information from the FAFSA form and calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC will appear near the top section of the report.

see our note on the Expected Family Contribution

The SAR will be sent to you and the schools you reported on your FAFSA form.

The SAR will be sent to the schools you selected when you submitted the FAFSA form. Schools will use the SAR to determine the eligible amount of college aid.

If you submit the FAFSA form via the Internet, and processed all the required documents, you will receive the SAR in about one week after your FAFSA application is processed;

If you submit the FAFSA form via direct mail, you will receive the SAR in about 3-4 weeks after your FAFSA form is received.

top of page

Making Corrections to the SAR

After you receive the SAR, you must review it and make any necessary corrections:

read it carefully to make sure everything is correct. You can make corrections by one of the following ways:

  • make changes online using your PIN:
    click here for FAFSA
  • or on Part 2 of the SAR and return it to the address given at the end of Part 2;
  • or request that your school make the changes electronically (contact your school)

Adding more schools to the SAR

If you want to have the SAR sent to a school that wasn't originally reported on the FAFSA form, you may do one of the following:

  • add more schools by submitting a correction to your FAFSA information
  • request duplicate copies to be sent to you from the FAFSA form web site (under "Request Duplicate Student Aid Report")
  • photocopy your SAR and mail it to the school of choice
  • correct and add the new school to your SAR and return it to the US Department of Education
  • contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at
    (or dial directly 1-319-337-5665) and request duplicate copies to be sent to you

top of page